The clearing Unit is a strategic unit operating independently under the procurement Directorate. It is well structured with six functional sections: Permits (Import & Export permits), Declaration, Accounts, Port, Shipping line, and Airports. This unit is equipped with all necessary working tools for quick and timely completion of clearing activities. It develops its own strategic plans, objectives, and performance targets which are reviewed and approved by MSD management.
Medical Stores Department (MSD) clears medicines, medical equipment, and other medical supplies of which 90% of them are imported. The procurement process goes together with clearing processes to complement the procurement process, enabling the aforementioned 90% to reach end users. Therefore, the MSD clearing unit plays a big role in bridging the gap that exists between outbound and inbound logistics in the supply chain by getting the overseas procured medicines, medical equipment, and other medical supplies from ports of entry through the clearing process.
It Captures information for imported/exported medical supplies, which are important sources of import/export data in the national database and assists the Government in collecting various duties and taxes by accurately declaring imported/exported goods.
The clearing Unit serves different groups of customers such as;
- All government referral and regional hospitals, health centers, and dispensaries
- All approved non-governmental /charitable hospitals and Health centers
- Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly, and Children development partners like UNICEF, PEPFAR, NMCP, NACP, Reproductive Health Program, National Immunization Program, National TB / Leprosy Program, Neglected Tropical Disease Program, Tanzania Food and Nutritional program.
- All MSD suppliers import goods to Tanzania under DDP incoterms and other delivery teams.
Clearing Charging mechanism
- MSD is a non-profit government organization, MSD Clearing unit charges a minimum fee amount to recover normal operating costs.
- MSD charging structure is always reviewed by stakeholders including, development partners and the Ministry of Health.
- The clearing fee depends on the size and number of containers, the nature of the products, and the mode of transport.
- All other charges are reimbursable on an actual basis.
- A bill and customer statement are immediately prepared after clearance of the consignment.